Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Sephora Rouge Infusion Lip Stain

As I posted in another blog, I got the Sephora Rouge Infusion Lip Stain in Red Essence as a 100 point Beauty Insider perk. I really liked the texture and lasting power so I had to go buy a more everyday color. This review is for both.


The sample size is the smaller top tube, and the full size ($14) is the bottom one. They have a very unique test tube-like package with the color on the top of the cap.



My sample was in the color Red Essence. It is a very pigmented red, leaning blue. The top picture shows how the color is stuck on the top of the lid. In the picture below that, you can see that it does have a wand with a doe-foot applicator. The top swatch is immediately after I drew it on. You can see how glossy it is right away. The picture below that shows the stain left behind (on the right side) when I immediately wiped it away. The stain is a little bit more intense if you wait longer before wiping it off, and also if you layer the product.

I wore this out to watch my friend do her first stand-up routine. I had a drink and some fries at the comedy club, then went out for another drink and chatting after. I did notice the inside of my lips were starting to wear away, but not as noticeable as you'd think. I went home about 5 hours later and my lips were still very red. Very impressed.

With this color, I recommend you think of it as the stain that it is, not as a gloss. Put on a very thin layer and let dry, or pat it out with your finger to thin it out. Then apply another coat if you really want to. People have complained about it flaking off in chunks, and I think that's because they apply it too thick, like a gloss. I had no problems with flaking. Just the normal wearing away of eating.


The full size color I bought was Coral Extract (you can't really read the name). It looks to be almost the same color as my natural lips, which is why I bought it. After wearing it for a day, it did seem to turn a bit darker as I wore it, which was fine. It definitely leans more pink than orangey for a 'coral' color.

I didn't get as long of a wear time out of this color, but I've read that with this product the lighter colors don't last as long. That's ok. I can still probably get a good 3 hours out of this (with eating and drinking) before it starts to fade, but there will still be color there. This lighter shade is definitely easier to apply too. I don't feel like I have to be quite as careful as I do with the red.

These colors also have a slight scent to them that I can't quite place. I think it's more fruity than chemical, but it seems to go away as soon as it's fully dry. They are not sticky- as long as you remember my "it's a stain, not a gloss" statement. As a "gloss" it would take forever to dry.

There are 12 colors total, from a nude brownish pink, to the bright red, to an orange, to a deep plum. For $14, I think these are definitely worth a try if you like stains.

No comments:

Post a Comment