Wednesday, May 21, 2014

DIY Brush Guards

I've finally started to understand the power of using brushes for all my makeup applications. I went a bought a bunch of different kinds at a store in Burbank, CA called Morphe Brushes. It's a wonderful little place with so many different choices and all for very cheap. I will definitely be going back. My plan was to also buy a brush roll there, but I didn't really like their choices. I may end up making my own (if I do, I'll try post a DIY of that.) But until then, I have a small bag for my brushes to travel in. I knew I needed a way to cover them so the bristles wouldn't get bent and they would stay clean. I ordered The Brush Guard's assorted pack from Birchbox to start with. This pack came with 6 guards in 4 different sizes. 






But I had more than 6 brushes by now, and most of them on the smaller side. I did try to cut a couple in half because they are very long. I figured I could just burn the edges and it wouldn't unravel. Wrong, mostly. I cut the large powder brush guard in half and burned the cut edges no problem. It did widen a bit, but was pretty successful. Then I cut one of the foundation sizes and burned one, that seemed to be fine. The second one kind of 'popped' when I was trying to burn the edges and just became unbraided. I used some gorilla glue to keep it from going any further but it looks awful. That's when I started to look into DIY versions. 

I admit, my version isn't really a "brush guard" in the sense like the ones above. The mesh is supposed to keep the bristles in shape and help with drying. My version is more for keeping them clean for travel. So, just another idea for you if you're looking for a quick fix. I still may buy more of the above guards, or make some like other bloggers from similar mesh, but I'm flying home in a week and needed something easy.
All of my brushes came in little plastic sleeves. I simply cut the sleeve about halfway down the brush, then put a piece of tape around to keep it tight. It's that easy! The tension of the tape will keep the plastic from sliding around while the brushes are all together in a makeup bag and keep them clean (enough). 

It's not the prettiest either, but it works! I'm pretty happy with it actually. They slide off for use and I just slide it back on the bottom half while they're being cleaned or drying so I don't mix them up. I hope this helps you, or at least inspires you to make your own!

No comments:

Post a Comment