Thursday, March 20, 2014

My First StitchFix Review

What is Stitch Fix?

Stitch Fix is a personal styling service. You tell us your style, size, and budget preferences, and we send you a package of stylish goodies to try on at home. Each Fix is unique and hand-picked just for you.

^From the website^

Here's how I explain it to people: You fill out a profile with your sizes and tell them what your style is. Then for $20, a stylist will pick out 5 different items, clothing and accessories, to send to you based on your choices. (You can also tell them if you only want dresses one month because you're going to a wedding, or like I did and told them I didn't want accessories my first time.) You choose when you want it sent to you - I had to wait a month from when I signed up, but that month went fast! And you don't have to get it every month, just whenever you tell them. So you try on your 5 items at home, with your own jewelry and other stuff from your closet, then decide which ones you like. Whatever you don't like, send back in the pre-paid mailer they send in your box. You have 3 days to do this. Whatever you decide to keep, they will then charge your credit card for the amount of the item, BUT that $20 you spent goes toward that cost! Plus, if you like all 5 items, you get 25% off.

I figured I'd try it. I had a friend who said she really liked it. I guess the more you get from them and tell them which items you liked or didn't, the better they get at picking stuff out for you. Makes sense but I don't know how much money I want to put into this. The clothes are kind of expensive. But I figure if I like one item out of the box, it's worth it.

Here's what I got:


41Hawthorn Asha Chevron Print Ininity Scarf: $28
Very soft. Not entirely sure what the fabric is but it's very thin and smooth. I really like mint clothes lately and even more, love infinity scarves.
The Verdict: Keeping it!


Sweet Rain Alan Cowl Neck Asymmetrical Cardigan: $58
I always love greys. I like things that match everything. I also like asymmetrical sweatshirts, as my stylist saw on my Pinterest page (and said so in my personalized letter.) I kind of wish I got a small instead of an extra small, but it will be great for cooler summer nights.
The Verdict: Keeping it!


Ezra Colorado Chevron Printed Raglan Blouse: $44
Not too bad. I like the colors and the v-neck. Don't mind the fabric too much either, nice and light. But I don't know what's going on with the shoulders... It looks like it's been sitting on a hanger too long, but it seems to be sewn like that.
The Verdict: Sending back.


41Hawthorn Colibri Solid Tab Sleeve Blouse: $48
You can tell by my face what I think of this. Totally not my style (granted, I'm trying to open myself up) but no. I like the color. But I'm not even sure what to do with it.
The Verdict: Sending back.


Just Black Jake Slim Boot Cut Jean: $88
These are actually navy I guess. First of all, the sizing options on your profile aren't very specific for pants. I had to put that I was a size 4, and when I saw this was a '27' I got scared. My natural waist may be a 27 but my hips sure are not. They are very stretchy so I figured I'd try. They actually fit... mostly. The waist definitely gives my barely-any-fat gut a very obvious muffin top. They are super soft and actually really comfy but you can also see that they are about 4 inches too long. I think the I seem said 33"? I'm only 5'4". I also did not want to pay $88 for jeans. That's still too much for me. 
The Verdict: Sending back.




Overall: I was pleasantly surprised. I had no idea what they would send me. It does help that your profile asks if you would like to link a board on Pinterest so they can see what kind of stuff you like. That's how I got that awesome cardigan! I also love that you get a personalized card (I didn't take a picture of it, but maybe I'll add it later) from your stylist to explain some of the choices. You get styling cards too, but I don't think they helped too much, I already kind of knew what to do and the one for the purple blouse didn't make sense. Well, I decided to order another StitchFix and it should be coming April 30th!






No comments:

Post a Comment