Monday, March 10, 2014

DIY Crayon Lipstick

I stumbled upon this idea a few days ago and my first thought was: "Yay! Something else I can do with my coconut oil!" And it was just as easy as everyone said!


What you need: 
-Crayola Crayons
-Coconut oil
-Containers: I used contact lens cases
-1/2 teaspoon 
-Small knife
-Small pot or skillet with about an inch of water
-Metal or glass bowl or measuring cup
-Toothpick/something to stir with
-Paper towels for various messiness

Most blogs said you have to use Crayola because they're non-toxic and have better color or something. 

I bought this coconut oil after I read a blog that claimed 160 things to do with coconut oil... Or something like that. I'm still getting used to the smell, since I never really liked coconut.

I used 1/2 teaspoon of coconut oil per 1/2 crayon. Next time I would probably use less oil to more crayon to get more opaque colors.

I just happened to have this tiny skillet and metal measuring cups. I filled the skillet with water, just enough to cover the bottom without any fear of it boiling over. Then I held the measuring cup in the water, while wearing an oven mitt of course, to create a double-boiler like situation. You can't melt the stuff over direct heat or it will just burn. Others have used a pot of water with a glass jar but I liked this because of the handle - easy for pouring. 

I scribbled my colors to decide which ones to use. This should've made me realize which colors would be lighter and used less oil accordingly, but oh well.
These are the colors I decided to use. 

Easiest way to remove the paper: cut a slit down the side with a knife and it should come right off.

Cut or break crayons in half. 

Measure 1/2 teaspoon of coconut oil. Use a toothpick for stirring while heating.

Sorry this picture is blurry, I was trying not to let the water boil so I took it fast. But you can kind of see what the crayons look like while melting. Breaking up your half of the crayon makes it melt faster.

Fully melted.

I used contact lens cases to hold my colors. My 1/2 coconut oil to 1/2 crayon mixture was the perfect amount for a contact case. There was a tiny bit left over, but not enough to worry about. 

I put them in the fridge for about 5 minutes to solidify. My biggest problem now is that my apartment stays pretty warm, and coconut oil starts to turn liquid at 76*F. So that means I have to keep my creations in the fridge :( I'm not sure what would happen if the oil got really warm, if the color would separate or anything? I was hoping these would be more portable. Maybe next time I'll use shea butter like other people keep talking about.

Cleaning out the measuring cup between colors was as easy as wiping. But be careful because the sides will still be hot! I just gathered up the paper towel enough that my hand wouldn't touch the sides or bottom.

For my last color, I mixed red-orange and red-violet because the red-violet was too purpley for me. So I used 1/4 of each. This is a comparison to a half left over from my other colors. I didn't count the tip in the full size amount, just estimated what it would equal.

Finished product! The red has a marbled effect after cooling in the fridge. Goes on just fine though.

Bare lips

Red

Violet-red

Scarlet

Pink- doesn't look like anything, but it will be a nice plain moisturizing color.

Red-orange

And my favorite: Red-orange + Red-violet

You can also use it as a blush! I think this was violet-red? Or scarlet?

And this was maybe the red-orange + red-violet? I already forgot.

Overall: I love it. It was so easy and fun and you can create your own colors. They also dry matte and stain a bit so they seem to last longer. And the coconut oil makes them very hydrating. 

**Crayons are non-toxic and little kids eat them all the time with no problems, and you can definitely eat coconut oil - so I'm assuming this is all pretty safe. Don't complain to me if you think it's not. I've been wearing it the last 3 days and I'm fine :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment