Thursday, February 16, 2012

The Hunger Games - Book vs. Movie

I first read The Hunger Games in the fall of 2010 and it immediately became my favorite series. Now, with the movie release getting closer, I decided to re-read them. Right now my opinions are solely based on the trailers I've seen - they may change once I actually see the movie. Mostly, this post is just about the inconsistencies I've spotted between the books and what is going to be in the film.

(Short rant: Why screen writers feel the need to change things is beyond me. Suzanne Collins even helped write the screenplay and things were changed. If it was MY book, I wouldn't allow it. To me, the book is written enough like a script as it is. I know that there is a "time-issue" seeing as how you can't even read the book in 2 1/2 hours - and let's face it, that's considered a long movie these days... which is bulls***... but I digress...)

I have to say before I start - even though there are blatant changes in the movie, I'm still beyond excite to see it! Mostly, I'm just excited to see it all played out and see the Capitol fashions. Now, on to the few things I've already seen that bother me...

First thing - very IMPORTANT thing in my eyes - the 2nd trailer that was released shows Katniss giving the mockingjay pin to Prim saying "as long as you have it, nothing bad will happen to you". THIS NEVER EVER HAPPENS IN THE BOOK! There is only ONE pin and Madge gives it to Katniss in the Justice Building before Katniss goes to the Capitol for the games. Prim never even sees it (I guess until she sees Katniss wearing it while she's watching the games.) Why would you add/change such an important symbol in the series?! Ugh. I'm really curious to see the rest of this storyline. (I'm guessing Prim will give it to Katniss at the Justice Building so "nothing bad will happen to her" in the arena... sigh.)

Second thing - a minute detail that really confuses me as to why it would be changed, but again is an important symbol in the books: the book says she takes the middle 3 fingers of her LEFT hand, touches them to her lips, then holds them out (to a person usually.) The trailer shows her using her RIGHT hand! There are 2 reasons I can think of for this (the 2nd I just thought of while writing this, the 1st is funnier and more personal to me.) First reason: Jennifer Lawrence can't hold her 3 fingers together on her left hand, so they changed it to the right. You laugh, but I actually have the opposite problem - when I try to hold my pinkie down with my thumb on my right hand, my other fingers involuntarily curl, but it's no problem on my left hand... Girl Scouts was hell for me :P Second (the more logical reason, that Suzanne Collins maybe never considered): using her left hand would disarm Katniss while doing the gesture. If she used her right, she can still hold her bow and even have an arrow ready if needed... just a guess.

I just have to say this: I get goosebumps every time I hear the 4 notes at the end of the trailers. Every time.

Now for personal opinions about the casting:

Katniss: I think Jennifer Lawrence is too pretty to be Katniss. Not that I see Katniss as ugly, but she's young and underfed and dirty most of the time.

Peeta: I don't know how to describe it... I saw Peeta as more of a pretty boy than Josh Hutcherson... skinnier, but still strong. The muscle that he put on for the movie makes him look more like a football player - nobody in District 12 is that well-fed, not even the baker's son.

Haymitch: Woody Harrelson will be awesome. I think I saw Haymitch as heavier but I got really excited when I heard this casting choice.

Gale: Liam Hemsworth works. Strong, tall... No complaints.

Effie: Elizabeth Banks will be SO CUTE!

Cinna: Ugh, very unsure about Lenny Kravitz, but I don't hate the idea as much as when I first heard it. I saw him (still do) as more of a Neil Patrick Harris/Sean Hayes type. Tall, skinny, short brown hair, artistic and stylish but not overly "gay".

Caesar Flickerman (Stanly Tucci), Seneca Crane (Wes Bentley), President Snow (Donald Sutherland), Claudius Templesmith (Toby Jones) = I think they're all perfect for the parts!

No comments:

Post a Comment